- Brand(s): Tulasi
- Manufacturer: Himalaya Herbals
- Disease(s): Stress / Dry Cough / Respiratory Infections / сhronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) / Asthma / Bronchitis
Tulasi (Holy Basil/Ocimum sanctum) is a sacred plant in Hinduism. In Sanskrit, Tulasi means ‘the incomparable one’. In the Ayurvedic tradition, Tulasi is used to support normal respiratory function, promote optimal health and longevity.
|180 tablets||$ 29.95||$ 0.17||$ 14.90||Add to cart|
|120 tablets||$ 24.95||$ 0.21||$ 4.95||Add to cart|
|60 tablets||$ 14.95||$ 0.25||Add to cart|
What is this herbal medicine?
TULASI (Holy Basil/Ocimum sanctum) is a sacred plant in Hinduism. In Sanskrit, Tulasi means ‘the incomparable one’. In the Ayurvedic tradition, Tulasi is used to support normal respiratory function, promote optimal health and longevity. Researchers at the Faculty of Science at Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu, India, reported that Tulasi has antioxidant properties and supports the body's natural response to oxidative stress. According to the report, the herb also supports the body's normal lipid and protein oxidation levels and is an antioxidant (Journal of Medicinal Food. September 2007, 10(3):495-502). Scientists at the Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, India, found that the constituents in Tulasi maintain normal levels of the stress hormone cortisol in the body. Further, they reported that the constituents of the herb are supportive of normal blood sugar levels (Journal of Natural Products. September 2007, 70(9):1410-6). Tulasi is grown all over India, in houses, gardens and temples.
Ursolic acid, isolated from Tulasi leaves, protects the mast cell membrane by preventing granulation and reducing the release of histamine. The ethanolic extract and volatile oil from the fresh leaves and the fixed oil from the seeds possess anti-asthmatic properties. The ethanol extract from the leaves shows a hepatoprotective effect against drug-induced liver damage. The plant extract exhibits anti-ulcerogenic actions.
- Respiratory support: Tulasi is very effective in the management of various respiratory disorders including chronic and acute bronchitis. The immunomodulatory, antitussive and expectorant properties of Tulasi help in treating cough. With its antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal activities, Tulasi helps in the management of respiratory infections. It relieves respiratory congestion due to the presence of components like camphene, eugenol and cineole in its essential oils. Tulasi’s anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties help in treating allergic respiratory disorders.
- Antistress: Tulasi increases the capacity to cope, adapt to challenging environments and affords significant protection against stress. Experimental studies have shown that Tulasi extract reduces noise-induced stress.
- Antioxidant: Tulasi is a powerful antioxidant which scavenges free radicals and can regenerate liver tissue.
- Immunomodulatory effect: The extracts of Tulasi stimulate cell-mediated immunity and humoral immunity.
- Antimicrobial effect: Tulasi extracts are effective against both positive and gram negative bacterial strains.
Upper respiratory tract disorders
- Productive dry cough
- Recurrent respiratory infections
- As a supportive therapy for chronic lung diseases:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Asthma and bronchitis
One capsule, twice a day or as directed by your physician
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Tulasi
Note: The information on this page is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat your problem without consulting your doctor.